Thursday, May 15, 2008

MLAs shocked

By Dan Hilborn
Published Jan. 3 2004


Shock and wonder are the two greatest reactions from Burnaby's Liberal MLAs in the aftermath of the stunning Dec. 28 RCMP raid into the offices of two B.C. Liberal cabinet ministers.

"This is very unfortunate," said Burnaby-Willingdon MLA John Nuraney, who is a friend and 'confidante' of fired ministerial aide David Basi. "I've known Dave for a number of years now, and he has been a very good worker and a confidante. I'm shocked that he has been accused of wrongdoing. I'm still not believing that he did anything criminal or had any part to play in all of this.

"I'm certainly hoping that he will be exonerated from all this. This must be a nightmarish experience," Nuraney said.

Equally shocked is Burnaby North MLA Richard T. Lee, who expressed confidence in the ability of the police to do a full and proper investigation.

"I believe the RCMP are doing their job, so we'd be best to wait for the results of the investigation," Lee said.

When asked if he was concerned about allegations of corruption in government, and what could be done to restore public confidence, Lee said, "I think, in general, I can't comment on that one. I believe the government is quite transparent in terms of its operation. But for individual staff it is hard to guarantee their integrity."

Burnaby MLA Harry Bloy called the Burnaby NOW from a family vacation in Oregon to say that he had only read a few short stories on the Internet, and he's not exactly sure of what has happened.

"No one has been charged with anything and I can't talk about speculation," said Bloy, who refused to believe that police were investigating allegations that organized crime links may have links to the provincial government.

"I have full confidence in the government." Bloy said. "What you're telling me is not the news that I've seen reported."

Attempts to contact Burnaby-Edmonds MLA Patty Sahota were unsuccessful.

No comments: